Anima Anima

This one is very surprising! I first thought what a wonderful choir/part-writing you got going on in the beginning, and the electronic elements came in were a nice idea. Something quite different as I didn't expect it, but it makes sense. You have quite an ear for arrangements and a knack of what sounds pleasing. In terms of the structure, again, I find no fault in this as this really is well-rounded. Much respect-- quite impressed with the quality of your singing, structure, production, and composition! I can keep returning to this piece and continue finding something new upon each listen.

War and Peace War and Peace

You really know how to set the mood and introduce us to your music. Your structure and writing skills are impeccable. It also doesn't hurt that you have a distinct voice... man your melody at 1:40 is so good. After having attempt writing a song, I have that much more appreciation for songwriting. To write something memorable without it losing its simplicity in melodic voicings is quite the challenge. This flows very well and I think that's key in judging for this year's NGADM

Purple Floyd Purple Floyd

lol not more needs to be said besides what has already been said from the individual before me.
The title peaked my interest.
But I think etherealwinds got the right idea in saying that this piece is like a nice haiku.

Do you like haikus?
I'm asking because I do.
Thought I'd let you know ;)

Vaeltaja Vaeltaja

I downloaded this and listened on CD while at work so I can give it several more listens before I said anything. The imagery that keeps coming to mind when listening to it is a panoramic view rolling over several different landscapes. This is a bit like a baroque piece in the sense that the music keeps on going without any pauses in between phrases. I also think it's brilliant that you and etherealwinds swapped audio. This makes me think that Versilian Studios has to create an Etherealwinds library soon. Oh and that melodious violin at 2:10 is quite beautiful and catchy. It an ambitious piece with a lot of variety. You've mentioned how some of my music would fly by without realizing how many minutes have passed, but I say that's what happens exactly with this piece you two created here.

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

We appreciate you taking the time to not only listen to the piece, but think about it too before you comment!

It's always great to hear that people get their imaginations flowing when listening to one's music. It seems that your imagery fits the theme of the piece quite well, considering the meaning of the name, and our thoughts while making it!
The melody at 2:10 was made by us both ^___^

Although Jordi suggested the idea, we had already thought of it individually, because of the circumstances. Unfortunately, we actualized it so late that SnowTeddy didn't get a good change to record anything.

And Etherealwinds library would indeed be something everyone should want :O!

As for the time flying by, we're really glad that you felt that way listening to this. We were actually literally just talking about you, and your music ;)
Thanks for listening, and for reviewing!

Going in Style Going in Style

That sax is such a weird choice for a piece like this that it works. I like the strangeness of it. 1:20 is cool, but I wish it was a bit louder in the mix. And as etherealwinds mentioned, I too thought it would accompany a game in a menu/title screen setting. It's fun listening to your collabs!

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

All credit for the idea of the sax goes to dem0, even if we created the melodies together! I was stunned when he showed me the idea, because of how surprisingly well it worked :D
We certainly went for an experimental style here. A bit of a risk, but either way we're happy we did it!

1:20, even though very active, is supposed to function like a short break from the melodies, focusing more on the rhythmic aspects of the piece. I agree it could be even louder. I'm afraid the piece is already compressed as far as we dare without damaging the sound, and is as loud as possible. So all other parts would have to be lowered in volume for that part to be enhanced. Maybe that would've been worth the trade though, since the listener can always raise the volume on their part?

It's fantastic to hear they're fun to listen to, since we always have fun working together! Thank you for the review ^____________^

Secret Adagio: Love and War Secret Adagio: Love and War

Very fitting piece for expressing sadness and a hope, and this relaxes me quite a bit where I can feel at peace. I've mentioned to you in the past that your production work in achieving realism is strong. Combined with this is your superb writing. Your voice leadings enhance the realism to this work. And now I feel like listening to some Mahler right now because of you.

Battle Born Battle Born

Great production work in terms of the variety and detail in the arrangement. My favorite part of this is the guitar work. That guitar solo at 2:14 is amazing-- reminiscent of the Joker's theme from TDK. And shortly after that, the vocal melody is pretty sweet. Even the timbre of his voice is reminiscent of Neil Young. I'm convinced that if Neil Young would do Heavy Metal, this would be it. Drummer went off the rails with the double bass... nice

bassfiddlejones responds:

Thanks Phono! Will drop by to leave a review on your track too. Always appreciate your feedback!

After the Rain After the Rain

This doesn't get old-- been listening to this quite a bit while driving across states this weekend. This can almost be a crossover with it's r&b sound. Would've just like to hear some lyrics. That synth lead at 3:30 is just butter!

johnfn responds:

thanks phonom, congrats on your great score! =D

you can thank ethansight for that synth. he's such a balllerrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Slowing Down Slowing Down

Quite the ear worm. As I was laying down to take a quick nap, this song started playing in my head. I was playing this several times at work, and when that happened I knew it was time to leave a review. My thoughts when I hear this is that this would be a great anthem piece for today's generation just like 1979 from the Pumpkins was for the 90s. What a carefree, inspiring piece. I can just imagine joy-riding amid lights from a nearby festival. My one critique is probably something that you'll get a lot of positive feedback as well. It might end up being polarizing for you, but maybe it's just me. The chant at 2:27 is awkward for me, and I'm not sure if it's because I think it would be more natural if there was some kind of lyric going on there, or if it's just the technique you tried going for in stacking your vocals. Either way, that section really was surprising and makes me quite jealous. lol There's a lot of interesting parts here that I haven't really gotten bored at all from the past several days of listening to it.
Its such a catchy song, garlagan. I look forward to hearing some more.

garlagan responds:

Your writing skills! Thank you so much Phono!
I think the chant's polarising too --actually that entire section-- but I'm content with how it turned out. That sort of batucada rhythm with the melody sounded in my head at one point when I was making a draft for the song, and it just made sense to go with it completely.
Thanks again for the wonderful feedback. I'm looking forward to hearing more from you too!

NGADM 2017 Round of 64 Podcast NGADM 2017 Round of 64 Podcast

You make me blush

ChronoNomad responds:

Then my work here is done.