After Humanity After Humanity

If I did end up participating in this contest, and if you didn't add the vocals, I wouldn't have guessed it was you at first. Great drive-- you really do create the best kind of works when it comes to distopia. But perhaps that is just what motivates you.

SnowTeddy responds:

Thank you very much for your review dude. Sorry I didn't reply earlier.

Yeah the vocal is kinda too much. I overused it :D.

Deceived by Demise Deceived by Demise

Your sound design keeps my ears perked as it sustains my interest. I like the pedal drone underneath the piano, and it fits well as a film piece since it takes its time to progress. If it wasn't for your interesting production work, I would've said that this could have been done all in three minutes as opposed to six. I appreciate the tone of the piece and your choice not to go over the top like some music on steroids. But what I really wanted to comment on was that poignant chord change at 4:32-4:33 with that arrangement. ooohhh that's butter. And that's all I needed to hear.

EvilRaccoon responds:

Thank you very much Phonometrologist, I think you're absolutely right that the piece could have been nearly halved, there's just maybe a little too much build and not enough theme.

Your feedback has definitely been noted! Thank you! :)

AIM - Enchanted Forest AIM - Enchanted Forest

Your chord choices are exactly what it should be as it creates that sense of exploration and mystery with a optimistic venture. I can't help but think of LOTR; good writing.

AIM - Violence AIM - Violence

If perfection existed, I would be tempted to say that this matches perfectly with the artwork. The introducing tones and mood really fits and creates a nice build up. You've got the interpretation of the artwork in these sounds, and it's a very exciting/entertaining piece. Always loved your sound design abilities, and I'm quite impressed with this one. My one and only critique is the quarter note bass line at 1:15 especially because my ears got a taste of those frequencies from :58. I expected to hear more of it driving the piece along as opposed to being stabs. But my ears just gave in at 2:34. Great structure to this piece. Thank you
oh and this should really be a loop.

OmegaP responds:

Oh No! I've killed your ears! Although maybe its only fair after my sustained listening of Penderecki's Dream :)

Joking aside, the problem with adding to much of those huge kicks from the beginning is that it is very hard to make the short choppy beats that I like. However, I do think a bit of rhythmic variation could have gone a long ways. Maybe it does get a bit dull.

Lost In The Hustle And Found You Lost In The Hustle And Found You

For a 10+ min piece, this actually keeps me interested throughout. Very interesting beginning, and the ascending melodic contour at 1:31 is a nice touch. I like the far mix/ subtle approach. You seem to have a better handle at adding different sections without one thing becoming too blaring. The slight breakdown at 6:15 is nice as well. Just everything is done tastefully in how you introduce different instruments and how you withhold things. This piece really does inspire me and I still wish you submitted this to the Picoday collection so the rest of Newgrounds can take notice. Great loop!

SnowTeddy responds:

It was difficult to keep the whole track going without bored out the listeners. I was wondering what should I add after the part at 6:00 cos I ran out of ideas. Then I think of something like Waterflame and Savant would do. Honestly I don't know why I could keep it over 10 minutes.

I found these free dnb samples online, free for all use too. So I plugged the samples into the DAW and make the beats. Then come the magic. I used a plugin made in Reaktor to humanize and randomize them. The strings were easy to make and so was the rest.

Thank you for your thoughtful and kind review. :) I really do hope you win Pico Day. Take care and have fun with your love one on the trip!

AIM - Enslaved To The Pain AIM - Enslaved To The Pain

Even after several listens separated by days, I still get an uncomfortable feeling when I listen to it. The cries, the artwork, and dark tones gives me an uneasy feeling more so than the piece I submitted. The transition at a minute in is quite solid. Good mixing there.

AIM - Nostalgic Recollection AIM - Nostalgic Recollection

This piece matches sonically with the artwork. It has some nice harmonies and melodies-- a very light-hearted work. The only thing I didn't like too much was the string sounds, although, it did supplement the piano nicely with it's own arrangement. One thing I would like to suggest to you next time is to try part-writing the strings. Split the notes of the chords up within the different string sections unless of course you're going for a pad sound which is fine.
When I listen to it, I certainly hear myself in the bright sun amid an open field.

BlueOceans responds:

That's a nice suggestion; I think I'll try it!

Thanks for the review!

Time is a Fickle Thing - Instrumental Time is a Fickle Thing - Instrumental

I like the poem from the other version but this works well without hearing the words. As a composition, I like the ideas. The only thing I think you would benefit from is having either better music libraries at your exposure or just some more practice at mixing. But you have a good sense of story telling/structure to your work, which is even harder to teach when it comes to harmony so stay encouraged :)

Grandvision responds:

Thank you friend. I appreciate the honesty, and a review that looks at the emotional aspects more so than the technical. I am still trying to learn orchestration and only recently have began doing mixing, mastering and EQ on my work, never gave it much thought beforehand. My instruments are very outdated but that's because of my OLD PC, I use what I can for that is all I can do at the time. A musician is usually poor, especially indie ones. :P

AIM - Love In Essence AIM - Love In Essence

Your vocals really creates a unique atmosphere to this that I don't know how to really describe. I get a strange/eerie, yet peaceful feeling from listening to it. Great guitar tone btw.

Rahmemhotep responds:

It's an electric tenor guitar with 2 mini humbuckers (some know these as 'firebird style humbuckers') going straight into my PC through my scarlet solo. I have it tuned GDAE low-to-high.

EDIT: I mean, I EQd it and did the effects, but none of it comes from a pedal or amp.

AIM - 400 Years AIM - 400 Years

This is cool. not much else for me to say other than wanting to drop by and say that I enjoyed this.

primallightmusic responds:

Thanks!! :) I appreciate it!